Family: GramineaeDescription & Extraction:
- Appearance : Light yellow to yellow clear liquid
- Odour: With a strong sweet grass aroma
- Relative density : 0.888 - 0.892
- Refractive index: 1.470 - 1.474
- Optical rotation : -7 to -13 deg
- Solubility: Easy soluble in 95% ethanol
This aromatic perennial grows about 1meter (3 feet) high and is a popular ingredient in wax candles, as an insect repellant, and is also widely used in perfumes, soaps, skin lotions, and deodorants. It is extracted from a hardy grass, native to Sri Lanka and Java. Although this essential oil has been typecast as an insect repellant (especially for malaria-carrying mosquitoes), it also has great benefit in clearing the mind, refreshing rooms and for softening skin, while combating oily skin and sweaty feet. Citronella oil is extracted from Cymbopogon nardus (also known as Andropogon nardus) and is of the Gramineae (Poaceae) family. It is also known as Sri Lanka or Lenabatu citronella. Citronella oil is extracted by the steam distillation of finely chopped fresh, dried or part-dried grass. It blends well with bergamot, geranium, lemon, orange, lavender, and pine.Chemical Components:
The main chemical components of citronella oil are citronellic acid, borneol, citronellol, nerol, citral, citronellal, camphene, dipentene and limonene.Toxicological Properties:
Citronella oil has a slightly sweet, lemony smell. The therapeutic properties of citronella oil are antiseptic, bactericidal, deodorant, diaphoretic, insecticide, parasitic, tonic, and stimulant. Citronella oil is not only of benefit in its use as an insecticide, but its antiseptic properties make it a great boon when wishing to clear a sickroom. It also has an excellent effect on clearing the mind. It may be used for combating excessive perspiration and for balancing oily skin, as well as fighting intestinal parasites and bringing down fever.Uses & Precaution:
- Citronella oil helps to clear the mind and has a general toning and tonic effect on the body.
- It is helpful with colds, flu, and minor infections and also has deodorizing qualities.
- Citronella oil's most useful quality is that of it being an insect repellent.
- Citronella oil may irritate sensitive skin and cause dermatitis in certain individuals.
We have shipping our goods by Air as well as Sea and also shipping i.e. DHL, FedEx, UPS, TNT, & EMS.
|Lot No||As mentioned on Label|
|Manufacturing Date||Jan. 2010|
|Best Before||Jan. 2012|
|Odor||Fresh and sweet|
|Botanical Source||Cymbopogon Winterianus Jowitt|
|Specific Gravity||0.8820 to 0.8875 at 23oc (0.8845)|
|Optical Rotation||(-) 2o to (-) 4o at 23oc (-3.2)|
|Refractive Index||1.4750 to 1.4885 at 23oc (1.4880)|
|Acid Number||0.5 to 3.5 (2.1)|
|Ester Number||20 to 40 (31.5)|
|Ester Number After Acetylation||250 to 280|